Tuesday 11 October 2011

Hartmann Judgment at Yugoslavia Tribunal

In July of this year, the appeal of Florence Hartmann from her conviction for contempt of court before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia was dismissed  by the Appeals Chamber.
A critique of the decision has just been published by the NGO Article IXX.
Hartmann was convicted for contempt resulting from publication of certain information that she had obtained while employed by the Tribunal's Prosecutor.
I wonder how far the long arm of the Tribunal reaches in this respect. Hartmann was an employee and so she was a bit like a whistle-blower. But suppose an academic like myself were to reproduce what Hartmann had written in an article or on my blog? Or even additional information of a confidential nature that I might obtain because someone sent it to me anonymously?
After all the fuss, Hartmann was fined EUR 7,000. Maybe it is worth seven grand to find out!

No comments: